u must know this: 10 facts about ANGKOR WAT
- The name ANGKOR WAT is translated from the KHMER(CAMBODIA’S OFFICIAL LANGUAGE), literally word ANGKOR means ‘CITY‘, WAT means ‘TEMPLE‘. Actually, the original name of the ANGKOR WAT IS “PRASAT PARAMA VISHNU LOKA“.
- ZHOU DAGUAN(Chinese envoy who traveled and documented about Angkor Wat in late 13th century, his writings are the most precious for Archeologists) mentioned that temple was sparkled in a SUNRISE BY GOLD which is depicted on towers of temple and he also mentioned local peoples in Angkor believes that temple was built in ONE DAY BY THE DIVINE ARCHITECTURE.
- Angkor Wat is built in the early 12th century (1116-1150). It was built in 35-years of brilliant construction under the reign of the KING SURIYAVARMAN II (1113-1145/1150) who called as ‘SHIELD OF THE SUN‘ who ruled the Khmer Empire (which is now called as modern ‘CAMBODIA AND LAOS‘). He dedicated the Angkor Wat to Hindu deity VISHNU (there are Three primary deities in Hinduism VISHNU is called as ‘PROTECTOR‘, BHRAMA is called as ‘CREATOR‘, SHIVA is called as ‘DESTROYER‘) due to the dedication of Vishnu Angkor Wat is oriented on WEST RATHER THAN EAST unlikely most Khmer temple.
- The architecture of Angkor Wat is inspired by ‘THE MOUNT MERU‘. According to Hindu philosophy, the centre of the world is MOUNT MERU (in Angkor it is represented by THE CENTER TOWER(213FEET HIGH)), which is surrounded by the MOUNTAINS (in Angkor it is the FOUR TOWERS WHICH IS ENCIRCLED BY THE CENTER TOWER) which is surrounded by THE SEA (in Angkor it is represented by THE MOAT).
BAS-RELIEF IN THE ANGKOR WAT ARE THE LONGEST & MOST STUNNING INSCRIPTION IN THE WORLD
- THE OUTER GALLERY of each FOUR WALLS divides into the TWO SECTIONS, moving to the SOUTH WING OF THE WESTERN GALLERY, contains an inscription of the BATTLE OF KURUKSHETRA (also called as Hindu epic MAHABHARATA), is the war between KAURAVAS AND PANDAVAS. In THE NORTH WING OF THE WESTERN GALLERY, depicts the another Hindu epic RAMAYANA, in which Ravana (Demon King) who kidnapped the Rama’s (is believed to be the incarnation of VISHNU) wife Sita, then Rama who declare the war on Ravana and rescue his wife Sita.
- THE WEST WING OF THE SOUTHERN GALLERY depicts the majestic ARMY OF THE KHEMER KING SURIYAVARMANII, this inscription shows the Khmer’s Warfare techniques used while battling with their Foes. In THE EAST WING OF THE SOUTHERN GALLERY, depicts the judgement of Mankind by YAMA and also describes THE 37 HEAVENS AND 32 HELLS.
- THE SOUTH WING OF THE EASTERN GALLERY is about THE CHURNING OF THE SEA OF THE MILK(famous BAS-RELIEF in Angkor), inscription starts from NINETY-ONE DEMONS led by THE DEMON KING RAVANA(Twenty-One Headed) in one end (where they hold the HEAD OF SERPANT) and EIGHTY-EIGHT GODS led by THE MONKEY GOD HANUMAN in the other end (holds the TAIL OF SERPANT) combining together pulling THE SERPANT(King of Serpents ‘VASUKI‘) which ties on The Mount MANDARA, while mountain tries to collapse Vishnu comes in his incarnation as a Tortoise, offers him in base of Mount MANDARA in the COSMIC SEA to get the ELIXIR OF IMMOERTALITY, this TUG-OF-WAR lasted for thousand years. THE NORTH WING OF THE EASTERN GALLERY depicts THE VICTORY OF THE VISHNU OVER DEMONS.
- THE EAST WING OF THE NORTHERN GALLERY depicts THE VICTORY OF KRISHNA OVER THE DEMON KING BANA, it is an inscription of the city is on fire Krishna mounted on a GARUDA who extinguishes the fire using THE GANGA. Krishna asks the Siva to spare THE DEMON BANA. THE WEST WING OF THE NORTHERN GALLERY depicts THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GODS AND DEMONS.
- TWO THOUSAND APSARA (cylastical nymphs) carvings are in the Angkor Wat. In Hinduism Apsaras are believed to be THE SPIRIT OF HEAVENS AND CLOUDS. Each Apsaras differ from others.
- Last and most stunning facts of Angkor Wat is, each year of EQUINOX DAY(20th March and 22nd or 23rd September) SUN RISES ON THE TOP CENTER OF THE TEMPLE.