U MUST KNOW THIS: 7 FACTS OF RAPA NUI(EASTER ISLAND)
- Polynesians are the first inhabitants of Rapa Nui(Easter Island). They arrived around the 4th century. The first ruler of the Rapa Nui was HOTO-MATUA. He traveled from Marquesa(is a small group of islands in Polynesia) to find out the new place to colonize with his followers due to the warfare on his homeland and he finally finds out the island which they named it as Rapa Nui(Easter Island).
- Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen who reached Rapa Nui in 5th April 1722 in the Easter Sunday, so he named it as Easter Island.
- Rapa Nui(Easter Island) is the remote island, which is 1000miles away from anywhere in the world. It covers 64square miles in the south pacific ocean. It only contains the population of below 5000 residents. UNESCO declares Rapa Nui has world Heritage site.
- Moai is a huge Monumental Statues which was built to represent the ancestors of Rapa Nui(Easter Island) inhabitants. It was built between 13th to 16th century, there are over 1000 statues around the island, but EL Gigante is the largest of all, which is 72 feet tall weighing over 160 metric tons. Dutch explorers dumbstruck of this huge construction and they can’t explain how they built and transport these giant statues over the island.
- Over the 17th century, the conflict between the inhabitants of Easter Island due to the population and scarcity of the resources to survive. During this period people of Rapa Nui was starts to live in the Cave and many scholars believed that there was Cannibalism was practiced at that time. Ana Kai Tangata is a cave where the people choose to live. The name Ana means “cave“, Kai means “To Eat“, Tangata means “Men“, it has suggested the two meanings “the cave where men eat” or “the cave that eats men“.
- Moai kavakava and Moai paepae are the small wooden statues which are also built to represent to their ancestors. This new type of Moai created during the Ecological disaster on the Easter Island.
- During the desperate situation, inhabitants of Rapa Nui(Easter Island) abandon the Moai construction due insufficient resources,then they follow the new tradition which called Tangata Manu, Tangata means person or Man, Manu means Bird which is called as Birdman cult, by following this new cult they can choose which clan members can rule the Rapa Nui for the following year. Birdman cult is conducted in the Orongo village between two clans, the selected one(from each clan) has to climb down to the dangerous cliff and swim to the nearby island called Moto Nui and then get the first Manutara egg and come back all the way and give it to his clan leader. This dangerous cult is ended when Rapa Nui people officially followed Christianity.